Planning for your pet's welfare during a disaster is as important as planning for your family's welfare. We hope the following information compiled from several different sources such as the Red Cross, the National Hurricane Center, and the Humane Society, will help ensure that your pets are provided the best care possible during a disaster.
Pet owners should assemble a Pet Disaster Supply Kit. It is recommended that the supplies be kept in a water tight container that is easy to carry. The following items should be included in your Pet Disaster Supply Kit:
- Food and bottled water for at least three days. Remember a can opener for canned food and containers for the food.
- All important records such as medical records and registration records.
- Pet toys and bedding
- A current picture of your pet
- Cat litter and litter box
- Leashes and pet carriers
- Rodents (such as hamsters, gerbils, etc.)
For additional information visit the following websites: